Sunday, March 6, 2011

Virginia/Perique

Perique is an odd duck. Used sparingly, it is said to cool a blend that smokes too hot. When it dominates more than half, as in this case, it's all I can taste. As it turns out, I don't like that taste. I really don't know how to describe that taste, or the smell, for that matter, other than fruit that's gone bad. I know that tobacco preferences are all a matter of taste, which will vary wildly from one person to the next, but with that said, For MY taste, I just don't care for it.
  I absolutely hated the first bowl I smoked, and the flavor grew on me a little each time over passing days. After a week of growth, it never got any better. It's something I could smoke, if it were present, but given the choice, I would probably reach for something else. I have added it to other blends which have proven too strong for casual use, and it has mellowed them slightly, but even with proven results like that, I doubt I'll ever buy any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment